George Carlin – may he rest in peace – talked about 7 words you can’t say on TV. Well, this article is going to tackle the 7 dirty words of Internet marketing. You want to disassociate yourself from these as much as you can, if you know what is good for you.
7. One of my favorites, is “buy.” You NEVER want to tell people to BUY your book or whatever the heck it is you’re selling. Buying means you’re spending money on it, and people do NOT want to spend money … on ANYTHING.
So you want to stay away from this word at all costs. Try something like “claim” or “immediately download.” This will make them think they’re getting it for nothing.
6. Really applies mostly to the IM make money online niche … “earn.” You NEVER want to tell people that they can EARN money online. Earning makes is sound like there is work involved. It’s hard to earn. You want to use words like “passively acquire an income” or something like that. Make it sound easy.
5. Sounds like “earn” but has an extra letter at the beginning. The word is “learn.” You NEVER want to tell somebody that they’re going to LEARN something. Learning is what you did in school and it’s NOT easy. Nobody wants to learn. They want the info to magically appear in their head as if by some genie.
4. Something only a dope would use when talking about their own site. The word is “scam.” When people think of a scam, they think of something illegal.
And the truth is, almost all scams ARE illegal. This is such a dirty word, you only want to use it when talking about somebody ELSE’S site. Just make sure you can prove it, unless you want to end up with a lawsuit on your hands.
3. Something a lot of marketers just don’t get. It’s “spam.” This is the bane of our existence. Spammers have made Internet marketers’ lives a living hell on Earth. Because of spam, we have more regulations than we know what to do with … all of which only make marketing that much more of a pain in the arse.
2. Is “Ponzi.” Remember the old Ponzi schemes from way back? Well, believe it or not, they are still around and still getting shut down every single day. The last thing you want is to be associated with one of these schemes. There is only one word dirtier than “Ponzi.”
1. The dirtiest word in all of Internet marketing. It’s the one thing that nobody wants to do. They’d rather eat bugs than do this. The word is work. Nobody wants to work. They just want to sit back, push a button, and watch the money fall from the sky. So never, under ANY circumstances, put on your website for your product that the prospect will have to WORK in order to see any results.
Okay, the above was a little fun for a change of pace. However, there is a lot of truth in what I’ve said. Remember it if you want to be a successful Internet marketer to avoid these 7 dirty words.